Everyone likes to keep their computer up to date, especially for its safety and proper functioning of the drivers. The most advisable way to keep them updated is always to use your own operating system’s updater, but there are also other alternatives that might be better.
In this article, I am going to start the article by explaining in a simple way what exactly drivers are, and why it is important to keep them updated. Then I am going to talk about how to update drivers for Windows 10 without much of a hassle.
FREE Ways To Update Outdated Drivers
What Is A Driver and Why Do You Have To Update It?
The drivers or controllers contain necessary information so that the system can know what we have connected to our equipment, how to get to it to handle or control it, what its capabilities are, etc. Therefore, it is a very important element for everything to work properly in sync.
By default, the operating system always tries to identify each component, peripheral, or device that we connect to the computer and will try to download and install the necessary drivers to control and manage it. But sometimes it fails to do that and you may face difficulties using your PC. For example, an outdated graphics card driver will have issues running graphics-intensive software like a video game.
Therefore, drivers are necessary so that Windows can handle hardware or peripheral components that we connect to our computer. If you have one installed but it is not properly updated, then we may encounter certain recognition or operation problems.
Two Free Ways You Can Update Drivers In Windows 10
There are several ways to update the drivers or drivers of a computer. Here we are going to talk about only two best ways to update your windows drivers absolutely free.
1. How To Update Drivers For Windows 10 Using Device Manager
In case you do not receive driver updates through Windows Update, the most common way to check for driver updates is with Device Manager. This Windows feature manages all the hardware on your computer, so it is possible to update the drivers for each of the components on your computer.
To check for driver updates in Device Manager, do the following:
- Go to Search, type ‘Device Manager’, and open the Device Manager
- Now you will see the list of all your hardware in Device Manager
- To check for driver updates for any component, click on it to expand and you will see all the drivers
- Simply right-click on the drivers, and go to Update Driver Software, and then click on Search Automatically
- If a driver update is available, the wizard will install it automatically; otherwise, the driver is already up to date.
2. Update Drivers Using Driver Booster
The second method you can use is by using third-party software called Driver Booster. It has a very easy-to-understand and user interface, where it shows your outdated drivers, tells you how outdated they are, and offers you to update them with a single click.
Here are the steps to follow to update the windows drivers on your PC.
- When you open this tool, you will see an option to scan for the driver right on the home page itself.
- Clicking on it will start the process of scanning and you will get a list of drivers which are needed to be updated.
- Now from the list, you can update the driver manually, clicking on them one by one. Or you can just select all and click on the button Update Now on the top right of the screen.
Note: the duration of scanning can differ from one PC to another depending upon the PC specs and the number of outdated drivers.
This will download all the drivers and install them automatically. There’s an option on the screen by which you can make your PC automatically reboot or shut down after drivers are finished installing.
How To Remove Unplugged Drivers From Windows 10
You might have stopped using a peripheral but your windows still have kept the driver. Now there’s a way to delete them too. On the left side of the home screen of the Driver Booster, you can see an option called Tools. Click on it and it will open the tools menu.
Simply choose the option which says ‘Clean unplugged devices data on your computer’. This will open a window where you can scan and delete the obsolete drivers which are not in use anymore.
How can I update my drivers for free Windows 10?
You can update them through the device manager on windows 10 or you can use any third-party application like the Driver Booster to update your drivers for free.
How do I install drivers on Windows 10?
You can manually install drivers on windows 10 using the Device Manager on Windows 10.
How do I fix Windows 10 install drivers?
Use Driver Booster to scan drivers and you can install them to fix any driver-related issues.