There are times when some of the SD cards that are inserted in the smartphone, it shows an error which says SD Card Is Blank Or Has Unsupported File System. The most probable reason which this error shows up is either the SD card is corrupted or the SD card is not supported in the smartphone.
Fix SD Card Is Blank Or Has Unsupported File System
There are many ways to fix this issue but make sure that SD card is physically not damaged or the phone driver software is also working perfectly. However, below are 8 fixes for the error SD Card Is Blank Or Has Unsupported File System.
1. Restart or Reboot Smartphone
Sometimes rebooting the device fixes a lot of issues regarding driver software in an electronic device. Restarting the device might solve the problem if the SD card is not corrupted and perfectly functional.
2. Take Out and Re-insert SD Card
Re-insertion of SD card in your device also might do the job because it just basically resets all the drivers after re-insertion of SD card.
3. Try SD Card in Another Smartphone
There are times when some of the SD cards are not supported in some of the devices and to ensure that SD card is functional, just try it on another device just to make sure whether it is corrupted or not.
4. Wipe Cache Partition
In this method you will have to go on to the recovery mode of the smartphone in which you are willing to use the SD card. If you are unable to go on to the recovery mode of the smartphone then just Google it by searching for your smartphone model.
Make sure that you have back-up of all the data in your device because one wrong move can just wipe-out all the data in your device which is not at all good for you. So, make sure you have backed-up all the contents and also read the below mentioned steps carefully.
- Switch your smartphone off.
- Press the power button and volume down button at a time (this is the command for most of the devices)
- Now you will enter in to the recovery mode
- Then look for option “Wipe Cache Partition”
- Navigate through the options using volume buttons
- And select the option through power button
- Make sure to not select any other options, you might lose all the data.
This might solve the problem but if not then just plug the SD card and head on to the next method where you will need a computer system.
5. Use CHKDSK Command
From this method onwards you will have to insert the SD card in a computer system to perform all the methods. Here, you will have to repair the SD card using CMD.
- Click on windows search bar
- Search for “Command Prompt or CMD”
- Right click on it and Run it as administrator
- Type “CHKDSK (allocated–drive-letter):/f” and enter
- Then it will start repairing the device
- And done
- You can also run one more command to remove bad sectors
- Type “CHKDSK (allocated–drive-letter):/r” and enter
So, through CMD in your system you can remove bad-sectors from the SD card, if still the issue is not fixed then head on to the next method.
6. Recover SD Card Data using Recuva
When it comes to recovering USB drives or SD cards, you have no other choice than installing a 3rd party software which is quite obvious because Windows doesn’t provide any such software to recover data from the external devices.
Using RECUVA you can take back-up of all the data in the SD card and format the SD card to use it further. You can also use RECOVERIT which is an advanced and paid tool to recover data with more accuracy but RECUVA also does the job decently.
- Insert the SD card in the system and make sure it detects
- Now, after installing the tool open it
- Press “Next”
- Select “All files” in the “file types”
- Click “Next”
- Select the drive or the SD card
- Check box on the “Deep Scan”
- Click on “Start”
- Now it will start scanning
- Then, select all files or the files which you want to recover
- Click on “Recover”
- Now allocate where the back-up file you want to store
- Once you have selected the location click “Ok”
- And you are done
So, make sure to recover all of your data before heading to the next method which is all about cleaning and formatting.
7. Clean SD Card using CMD
You can fix SD Card Is Blank Or Has Unsupported File System by doing simple cleaning. To clean the SD card follow the below mentioned steps carefully.
- Click on the windows search bar
- Search for “Command Prompt or CMD”
- Right-click on it and Run it as administrator
- Type “diskpart” and enter
- After entering DISKPART type “list disk” and enter
- Then type “select disk (disk number) ” and enter
- Type “clean” and enter
- Type “create partition primary” and enter
- To format type “format fs=ntfs” and enter (if you face size issue error then there will be no volume selected shown in the CMD)
- And done
Note: FAT32 does not allow to copy files of a size more than 4GB. Also for storage more than 32GB use exFAT and for rest FAT32.
8. Format SD Card using MalvaStyle
In this method also, you will have to download a 3rd party tool to fix SD Card Is Blank Or Has Unsupported File System by doing the simple repair by using tool i.e. MalvaStyle.
This tool is one of the best tools to manage external disks and repair them without typing any commands. Below are the steps to format the SD card from the tool.
- After installing the tool
- Open the tool
- Click on “USB only” box
- Click on the dropdown menu and select the device
- Once you have selected the device
- Click on “disk part” then click “ok”
- Now the formatting process will begin
- Wait until the formatting is completed
- And you are done
Why does my SD card says Blank or unsupported files?
This happens mostly when the SD card is legitimately not supported in the smartphone or the SD card is damaged or corrupted. Also, there could be some errors with the phone drivers so make sure to reboot or wipe cache data of the phone. So, in this way you can fix SD Card Is Blank Or Has Unsupported File System.
How do I fix unsupported files?
You can fix the unsupported file in the SD card from the phone by wiping cache data of the phone or from the computer system you can repair the SD card from CMD read the above methods for better understanding.
How do you format SD card that Cannot be detected?
For this you will need a computer system. You can use MalvaStyle or directly CMD to clean or format the SD card. But, make sure the SD card is not physically damaged and all.
So, these were the top 8 ways to fix errors: SD Card Is Blank Or Has Unsupported File System. If you found this article to be useful or if you know someone for whom this article can be helpful, then do share it with them.
You can also share our articles, for more troubleshooting and reviews on various software do check our website out!