There are times when we store photos for a long period of time and at some time the photo gets corrupted because of some systematic errors and eventually, we tend to lose some of them and this mostly happens to the photos stored in external devices.
Ways To Repair Corrupted Photos In Windows 10
Eventually, there are some methods and software available through which we can recover or Repair Corrupted Photos In Windows 10. Hence, in this article, I will be sharing the 7 best possible ways to Repair Corrupted Photos In Windows 10.
1. Assigning New Letter To Drive
Changing the drive letter can also fix the error or issues with the photo, to change the drive letter follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Click on the windows search bar
- Search for “Disk management” or open directly from the control panel
- Open “Hard disk partition”
- Look for the external disk
- Right-click on it
- Click on “Drive letter and paths”
- Now change the drive letter if visible
- Or add a new drive letter if any drive letter is not shown
- And done
If the issues are not fixed then go for the next mentioned method below.
2. Error Checking Tool
This method is a quite basic one but at times this can also do the job which will save you a lot of time and effort so head on!
- Open “This PC”
- Look for the corrupted or the damaged drive
- Right-click on it
- Click on “properties”
- Go on to “tools”
- Click on “check” button
- Click on “scan and repair drives”
- After the scanning is done
- You are done
If this didn’t fix the error then, move on to the next method.
3. Try Another Image Viewer & Reset Microsoft Photos
There are times when the image viewer in the system gets corrupted or doesn’t support some of the files in the system or in the external device.
When you acknowledge that the fault is with the photo viewer then, what you can do is go on to the app settings of the Photos or Windows Photo Viewer or whichever photo viewer you are using and just click on repair or reset the software.
This will solve all the settings and make it suitable for the system and for you as well. If this didn’t work then just head on to search another photo viewer or move on to the next method.
4. Add Extension To Corrupted Photo
The extension lets the system decide what type of file the user is clicking on or trying to open. If the extension is somehow missing or is not showing then you won’t be able to open the file which is quite obvious.
Hence, make sure to check whether the photo or image has an extension or not. If not then add .jpeg or .png which are two of the most profound image file types.
5. Scan Drive With Antivirus
Viruses in the system also corrupt photos and some of the files in the system or in the external memory device. Hence, you can scan the particular drive or even the particular folder by right-clicking and selecting the option to Scan With Windows Defender.
Although, if the windows defender didn’t work then you can also go on and download a 3rd party paid antivirus or a free version, I would recommend Bitdefender Antivirus. Then, you can scan and eliminate the virus which resulted in the corruption of files or photos.
6. Try To Recover Non-Corrupted Photos
In this method, you will have to use a 3rd party recovery tool which could be one of the best when it comes to freemium tools i.e. Recuva. it is one of the best tools to recover deleted or corrupted files from the external device or any drive.
Basically, the tool will recover the file which was earlier not corrupted and eventually, you could recover the photo through the tool Recuva. You can also download Recoverit, it is paid and more of a premium tool.
- Insert the SD card in the system or just select the folder where the corrupt image was located
- Now, after installing the tool open it
- Press “Next”
- Select “Pictures” in the “file types”
- Click “Next”
- Select the drive or the SD card
- Check box on the “Deep Scan”
- Click on “Start”
- Now it will start scanning
- Then, select all files or the files which you want to recover
- Click on “Recover”
- Now allocate where the back-up file you want to store
- Once you have selected the location click “Ok”
- And you are done
Make sure to select the photo which was corrupted.
7. Stellar Repair For Photo To Repair Corrupted Photos
This is also a 3rd party app through which you can repair the damaged or corrupted photo i.e. Stellar Photo Repair. But, this is a paid tool so you can expect very good results.
- Download the tool
- Open it
- Select the corrupted photo
- Then it will do the job to solve the issues
- Then you will have to save the photo for which you will have to download the paid version.
So, this tool will surely fix the photo but it comes with a price-tag so, if you are willing to pay then this tool is the one which can be trusted.
How can I repair corrupted photos for free?
First, make sure the photo viewer you have in your system, supports the photo format. If the photo viewer is perfectly functional then, look to recover the file using Recuva which has the highest probability to recover or Repair Corrupted Photos In Windows 10 for free.
How do I uncorrupt a file?
Basically, you can’t un-corrupt the file rather you can recover the uncorrupted file by using a recovery tool i.e. Recuva or RecoverIt.
What is the best software to repair corrupt photos?
Stellar Photo Repair is the best software to Repair Corrupted Photos In Windows 10. It is a paid software, so you can expect good results from it.
Hence, these were the 7 best possible ways to Repair Corrupted Photos In Windows 10 with minimal effort. If you found this post useful or legit then do share it with your friends and family who might be suffering the problems regarding corrupted photo files.