There are times when you insert or plug a USB device into the system and it shows an error which says Please Insert A Disk Into USB Drive. At these times you can expect many probabilities but most obvious one would be USB port damage or USB device damaged or corrupted.
So, make sure to cross check the USB device and USB ports with the help of other systems and SD card or Pen-drive to avoid all the hassle and acknowledge the real issue in the system or the USB device.
Fix Please Insert A Disk Into USB Drive
However, if the USB port is functional and you still get the error then below are the 5 ways to fix Please Insert A Disk Into USB Drive error within a few minutes or so.
1. Change Driver Letter
Changing drive letter can also fix the error, so to change the drive letter follow the below mentioned steps.
- Click on windows search bar
- Search for “Disk management” or open directly from control panel
- Open “Hard disk partition”
- Look for the external disk
- Right click on it
- Click on “Drive letter and paths”
- Now change the drive letter if visible
- Or add a new drive letter if any drive letter is not shown
- And done
If the issue is not fixed then go for the next mentioned method below.
2. Recover Data Before Formatting the Drive
When it comes to recovering USB drives or external drives, you have no other choice than installing a 3rd party software which is quite obvious because Windows doesn’t provide any such software to recover data from the external devices.
Using RECUVA you can take back-up of all the data in the SD card and format the SD card to use it further. You can also use RECOVERIT which is an advanced and paid tool to recover data with more accuracy but RECUVA also does the job decently.
- Insert the SD card in the system and make sure it detects
- Now, after installing the tool open it
- Press “Next”
- Select “All files” in the “file types”
- Click “Next”
- Select the drive or the SD card
- Check box on the “Deep Scan”
- Click on “Start”
- Now it will start scanning
- Then, select all files or the files which you want to recover
- Click on “Recover”
- Now allocate where the back-up file you want to store
- Once you have selected the location click “Ok”
- And you are done
So, make sure to recover all of your data before heading to the next method which is all about cleaning and formatting.
3. Clean SD Card using CMD
To format the external device follow the below mentioned steps carefully.
- Click on windows search bar
- Search for “Command Prompt or CMD”
- Right click on it and Run it as administrator
- Type “diskpart” and enter
- After entering DISKPART type “list disk” and enter
- Then type “select disk (disk number) ” and enter
- To format type “format fs=ntfs” and enter (if you face size issue error then there will be no volume selected shown in the CMD)
Note: FAT32 does not allow to copy files of a size more than 4GB. Also for storage more than 32GB use exFAT and for rest FAT32.
- It will take a few minutes and you are done formatting.
You should always try formatting the SD card or USB device on low level also.
4. Format on Low Level
To follow up on this method you will have to download a 3rd party software to format the SD card or any external memory device on a low level.
- Select the USB storage device after opening the tool.
- Click on “continue”.
- Click on “Low level format” box
- Now, just click on “Format”
- Formatting process will begin and you will be done within a few minutes.
Check the next step to format the SD card on an advanced level.
5. Format using MalvaStyle
In this method also, you will have to download a 3rd party tool to format the external memory device i.e. MalvaStyle. This tool is one of the best tools to manage external disks and repair it without typing any commands. Below are the steps to format the SD card from the tool.
- After installing the tool
- Open the tool
- Click on “USB only” box
- Click on the dropdown menu and select the device
- Once you have selected the device
- Click on “disk part” then click “ok”
- Now the formatting process will begin
- Wait until the formatting is completed
- And you are done
How do you fix a USB please insert disk?
The most probable method to fix insert USB please has to be formatting the USB device through MalvaStyle or from the CMD by cleaning the device completely.
What does please insert a disk into USB drive mean?
Basically, it is an error within the system drivers, USB drivers or the USB drives itself. If any of the problems are there then the error will show up. Also, this error shows up when the USB ports of the system is damaged and the user tries to plug the USB device.
How do I fix a corrupted flash drive without formatting?
The simplest way is by changing the driver letter but it totally depends upon the error but when it comes to this particular error then formatting is a must try method. Although, you can also try recovering the data in the USB device by using RECOVERIT or RECUVA.
If you are one of the users facing Please Insert A Disk Into USB Drive and if any of you found the solution for the issue from this post then do share it with your friends and family who might need it or share it to those who might face these kinds of issues.
For more troubleshooting, app-review or comparison posts you can also check our website!