Fix SD Card Detected but Not Showing
1. Populate & Format
- Click on windows search bar
- Search for “Device manager” or open directly from control panel
- Open Device manager
- Look for USBC (Universal Serial Bus Controller)
- Expand by clicking on it
- Click on “USB mass storage device”
- Right click on it
- Click on “Uninstall”
- After it is uninstalled
- Look for “Action” at the top side
- Then click on “Scan for hardware changes”
- Then click on “Disk Drivers”
- Select the inserted external device
- Then right click on it
- Select properties and Populate the storage device
- And done
After you have followed all the above mentioned steps head on to the next part:
- Click on windows search bar
- Search for “Command Prompt or CMD”
- Right click on it and Run it as administrator
- Type “diskpart” and enter
- After entering DISKPART type “list disk” and enter
- Then type “select disk (disk number) ” and enter
- Type “list partition” and enter
- Type “select partition (partition number)” and enter
- Type “delete partition” and enter
- Type “create partition primary” and enter
- Type “clean” and enter
- Type “active” and enter
- Open Disk management
- Select the device and double click on it
- Now select new simple volume
- Click “next”, select “drive letter”
- Then name the device
- And Finished
If this method didn’t work for you then head on to the next one which has a higher probability to solve the issue. You can also use a third-party tool like Malvastyle for formatting.
2. Registry Editor
Sometimes when we suddenly eject the external device or a pen-drive without following the actual process, the device eventually doesn’t show up when we insert it further and for this, the user can adjust some settings from the Registry settings which is quite risky but the job gets done for sure.
Note: Upload Registry Backup File before Restarting OR Shutting Down the PC otherwise windows will crash. In case, you lose your data you can use Recoverit to get your data back.
- Click on Windows search bar
- Search for “Run” or use shortcut “Windows + R”
- Type “regedit” in the Run bar and enter
- Before taking any actions you need to back up the data
- Click on “files” on the top side
- Click on “export”
- Allocate the back-up file where you need to store
- Name the file and save the folder
After you are done with taking back-up, follow the below mentioned steps in the same window:
- Click on “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”
- Click on “SYSTEM”
- Click on “CurrentControlSet”
- Click on “Control”
- Look for “Class”, click on it
- Look for “4d36e967-e325-11ce1bfc1-08002be10318” folder
- Look for “lower filters” and “upper filters”
- Delete both the files
- And you are done.
Why is my SD card not showing up on my computer?
Make sure the SD card is perfectly functional and the ports of the system as well. Because there are times when either of them are physically damaged and we blame the software for it and eventually waste time. But, there are also chances of driver errors so do go through all the required majors.
How do I fix SD card not showing on my computer?
You can easily fix this issue by formatting and populating the drive from the system. For better guidance do go through the 1st method.
How to fix sd card detected but not showing in Windows 10 ?
This is one of the most common issues but the damage it does to the user is huge because they can literally lose all the data in the external device which is not quite good.
To acquire a full proof solution you need to take a serious risk by going into the Registry settings of the system which might crash the system too but with adequate major one can get the job done. Look for the 2nd method for better guidance over the method.
So, if you are one of the users who face issues like sd card detected but not showing in the system and eventually if any of these methods worked for you then do share it with your friends and family.