There are times when you go on to repair the damaged drives or external drives at most of the times an error shows up which says chkdsk is not available for raw drives which is most probably because of some drive errors which obviously is fixable.
Fix CHKDSK Is Not Available for Raw Drives
1. Remove Bad Sectors using MiniTool
For this method you will have to download a tool i.e. Mini tool partition wizard.
This tool has the highest probability to fix all the issues regarding the external devices so do try this method for better results and also you can easily carry out the processes without any issues.
- Open the tool
- Look for the disk
- Right click on the particular disk
- Click on “check file system”
- Click “check and fix detected errors”
- Click on “start”
- Now it will take few minutes
- And you are done
This should remove the bad sectors of the external device.
2. Remove Bad Sectors using Disk Genius
So, in this method you will have to download another 3rd party tool i.e. Disk Genius. This is one of the best tools when it comes to repairing external devices or SD cards. To remove bad sectors from the USB external device, go through the below mentioned steps carefully.
- Download the tool
- Open it
- Now, select the disk you want to repair
- At the top section, click on “Disk” option
- Click on “Verify or Repair Bad Sectors”
- Now, from the Drop box menu change the “Cylinder range” to “Sector range”
- Now, click on “Start verify”
- Now, the scanning will begin
- After scanning is done click on “Repair” and you are done.
if this method couldn’t fix the error then head on for the next one.
Download : Disk Genius
3. Recover Data using Recuva
Before you format any of your memory cards or external drives I would recommend you to take back-up of all the data in the memory drives if it is essential to you.
- Insert the SD card in the system and make sure it detects
- Now, after installing the tool open it
- Press “Next”
- Select “All files” in the “file types”
- Click “Next”
- Select the drive or the SD card
- Check box on the “Deep Scan”
- Click on “Start”
- Now it will start scanning
- Then, select all files or the files which you want to recover
- Click on “Recover”
- Now allocate where the back-up file you want to store
- Once you have selected the location click “Ok”
- And you are done
4. Format Multiple Times with Different File System
So, in this method you will have to use another 3rd party software i.e. EaseUs Tool which will help you remove raw drive error from the external device within 4-5 steps. You will have to select a different file system so, make sure you format with every file system.
So, once you have taken the back-up go through the below mentioned steps.
- Once you have downloaded the tool
- After you have opened it
- Select the disk drive
- Right-click on it and the format option
- Then you will see a pop-up window
- Leave all the other options as it is
- Change file system to every time you format and format the drive until you have selected all the file systems i.e. FAT32, NTFS, etc.
- Every time after the selection of the file system you will have to click on execute the operation and apply boxes on the upper area.
- And you are done
If this method couldn’t fix the issue then head on to the next one, because the probability is much higher on the next method.
5. Clean Pendrive/SD Card using Command Prompt
To clean the SD card follow the below mentioned steps carefully.
- Click on the windows search bar
- Search for “Command Prompt or CMD”
- Right-click on it and Run it as administrator
- Type “diskpart” and enter
- After entering DISKPART type “list disk” and enter
- Then type “select disk (disk number) ” and enter
- Type “clean” and enter
- Type “create partition primary” and enter
- To format type “format fs=ntfs” and enter (if you face size issue error then there will be no volume selected shown in the CMD)
- And Finished.
Note: FAT32 does not allow to copy files of a size more than 4GB. Also for storage more than 32GB use exFAT and for the rest FAT32.
How do I fix chkdsk not available for raw drive?
Above are the best 5 methods to fix the CHKDSK Is Not Available for Raw Drives error but as per me formatting the external memory device or removing bad sectors from it is the best method to fix the error.
Why chkdsk is not available for raw drives?
Basically, this is an error which is because of driver issues or corrupted files and it has nothing to do with the physical functionality of the USB drive rather it is completely related to software and driver errors.
What happens if chkdsk doesn’t work?
Well, if it doesn’t then go for any of the above-mentioned methods to overcome the issue but it also depends on the kind of error it is showing. So make sure you search for the errors and acknowledge the solution.
So, above were the best 5 methods to fix the CHKDSK Is Not Available for Raw Drives error within a few minutes and minimal efforts.
If you found this article useful or you think it might be useful to any of your friends or family then do share it with them to make their lives better.