The performance of the computer of computer depends on three main things: the speed of CPU, Memory capacity, and Input/output devices. If the CPU gets too hot then your computer’s performance gets affected. It happens due to numerous reasons like poor ventilation, dust, voltage malfunctions, etc. To avoid purchasing new processors, you might measure the CPU Temperature and take action before the eruption.
How to check CPU temperature in Windows
Microsoft doesn’t provide any inbuilt tool to check CPU temperature in Windows 10. There are other ways to check CPU temperature. You can check the CPU Temperature using BIOS or third party software, some methods are listed below
1. Using BIOS settings
This method is not suitable because you have to restart your PC every time to check the temperature.
- Turn ON your computer during the boot process there will be a line at the bottom that says press F2 for Boot Menu F12 for BIOS Update(may vary depending on the manufacturing company of your PC)
- Press F12 for BIOS update
- Select Power and there you will be able to view CPU Temperature, Fan RPM speed, and other things.
2. Using Third-Party Software products
There are various tools to measure CPU temperature, but selecting the best, safe, and affordable is the main concern. I have listed two of the best tools
It is used by many people and it is freeware (It means you don’t have to pay for the software).
- Download and install Core Temp (Note: While installing CoreTemp uncheck the “Build your kingdom with Goodgame Empire” box in the “Additional Icon Recommendation” section to avoid getting useless software on your desktop)
- After installing, it will launch itself and show you the stats.
- You can minimize it and still be able to see the temperature by clicking on “Show hidden icons” on the taskbar in your taskbar. Multicolor numbers will appear which represent the temperature of each core.
- You can check them here anytime you like, or click and drag them to the taskbar to display them permanently.
- To conserve space in your taskbar, you can select to view only the highest temperature at any given time. In Core Temp, head to Options > Settings > Notification Area, then select Highest temperature per processor.
It is an excellent tool to monitor your CPU temperature. It can also be used to overclock your CPU.
- Download MSI Afterburner and install it on your computer.
- After the installation, open it and select Monitor Icon (red square). It will open a usage graph showing GPU usage, CPU usage, etc.
- At the bottom, you will see CPU usage and shows the temperature at the bottom right side (shown in the image)
Additional Feature of MSI Afterburner
You can also display the CPU Temperature In the taskbar so that whenever you open the MSI afterburner a corner box appears showing the temperatures.
- For that, you need to go to the setting menu and select the “Monitoring” option from the top pane
- Then scroll down to the “CPU Temperature” option in the “Active hardware monitoring graphs” section
- Tick mark “Show in-tray icon” and then click the “OK” button
Also Read: How To Check Windows 10 Is Original Or Not
3. The Savage Way
- Get an Infrared Thermometer
Last updated 2021-10-16 at 09:24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Open the side panel of your computer which is facing the CPU core
- Aim at the processor chip
- Press the button to measure the temperature
- The temperature of the CPU will be shown.
What is idle CPU temperature?
The temperature at which your computer functions under normal circumstances is said to be known as normal or idle temperature.
Why should you monitor and maintain CPU Temperature?
You know when you work too hard and don’t take a rest your brain gets stressed, and you can’t work further. The same thing happens with computers when you do heavy gaming / graphical work your CPU gets heated, and it may shut down or show BIOS failure when you start your computer.