You might be aware that deleting your browsing history is necessary as it occupies space on your device and it may also be a threat to your privacy. It is easy to forget about deleting history, but what if you are able to automatically delete history? In this post, I’m going to show you different ways to automatically delete browsing history in Google Chrome.
How to Automatically Delete History in Google Chrome
Why Delete Browsing History ?
Google collects tons of user data and uses them for improving their products and also for Google Ads. The collection of browsing history also occupies space on your device, as it is saved in form of cookies in your storage disk.
Moreover, if you don’t like someone tracking my location as you search the web, so I prefer the use of DuckDuckGo or turn off Web & App Activity in My Activity while searching in Google. You can see Google even collects usage data outside of chrome in the image given below
1. Using Extensions
For deleting browsing history automatically on PC, you will require the assistance of an extension. There are various extensions available in the Web Store but I prefer using Auto History Wipe because it is free and user-friendly. You just have to follow the steps given below
- Go to Web Store.
- In the search bar type Auto History Wipe or just click on the appbox above.
- Click on Add to Chrome and then it will show you another box on the screen.
- Click on Add extension and select the things you want to delete.
2. Auto Deleting Cookies
Google Chrome doesn’t provide any built-in function to automatically delete browsing history. However, you can delete cookies every time you exit your browser by going to Advanced Settings > Privacy and Security > Clear cookies and site data when you quit Chrome.
3. Using My Activity
Google doesn’t provide a feature to delete history automatically in the browser but it does provide a feature to auto delete history in the My Activity section on their website which manages all browsing, YouTube and Location history of our Google account. Follow the below steps to auto-delete history using My Activity
- Open My Activity.
- Click on Web & App Activity and scroll down to Auto-delete and click on it.
- You can select the option to delete browsing history older than 3 months, 18 months and 36 months.
- You can also turn off Web & App Activity, but it is not recommended as you might have to remember name of every website you visit. Suppose you visited a website and you forgot the name of that site then you will have hard time searching it.
Does Google automatically delete search history?
Yes, if you have set it to auto-delete history in My Activity. You can set auto-delete to delete your history after 3, 18 and 36 months.
When you delete your browser history, is it really deleted?
Only deleting history in the browser won’t delete everything, you have to delete history in My Activity also and Google will still have certain types of your data for a limited time to meet up with their business or legal needs.